Total parenteral nutrition (TPN) is a vital medical intervention that provides essential nutrients to patients who are unable to meet their nutritional needs through enteral nutrition. It is indicated for a wide range of medical conditions and can have a significant impact on patient outcomes. TPN can prevent malnutrition and its associated complications, promote wound healing and recovery, and improve quality of life. This course will equip learners with the essential knowledge and skills to administer TPN therapy safely and effectively.
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Define TPN and explain its indications and contraindications.
- Recognize how to calculate TPN Macronutrient and micronutrient
- Identify the different routes of TPN administration and their associated risks and benefits.
- Discuss basic components of and supplies for TPN therapy.
- Apply knowledge of TPN therapy to determine appropriate plan of care for patients with TPN
- Interpret lab results and modify the plan